Sunday, January 7, 2018

My Week in Review: 12/30/17-1/6/18




Here we are, a brand new year.  I am so excited to see what great reads I can find.  I'm looking forward to trying new to me authors as well as reading more from my faves.

These are the books I want to share with you today.

Brimstone: V Plague Book 16 by Dirk Patton - 5 Stars *****


Left behind as the nerve agent is released in Sydney, John must find a way to survive and escape the city as it descends into chaos.

Dead: Snapshot: Portland, Oregon by TW Brown 
4 Stars ****


Meet Ken Simpson, a retired police officer, Rose Tinnes, a newly divorced woman trying to get her life back in order, and Jason Edwards, a man recently paroled and looking forward to his freedom. These three people form the nucleus of an unlikely group who will struggle to survive as their city falls to the undead.

As the city of Portland, Oregon spirals into hellish chaos, it is not just the walking dead that prove to be a problem. In a world suddenly stripped of any order, it might be the living that pose the greatest threat.

Dead: Snapshot: Leeds, England by TW Brown
4 Stars ****


Dateline: Leeds, England--Reports have flooded in about the dead returning to life and attacking the living. These reports are confirmed and all citizens are warned that there may not be any immediate help forthcoming...

When all order is stripped away, what direction will normal people take in the end? Shadiyah Kasim has witnessed a brutal attack on her sister, she seeks vengeance. Not on the dead that are wiping out humanity, but on the living that harmed her sister.

Simon Wood was about to start a life as a police officer. His sister died after what seemed like little more than a scratch inflicted by an attacker that she had dismissed as nothing more than a crazed scratter.

When the dead take over, two people are left to decide in what direction they will travel with what remains of their lives. Do the old definitions of "Good and Evil" still hold true?

Dead: Snapshot: Liberty, South Carolina by TW Brown
4 Stars ****


Welcome to Liberty, South Carolina-Population 3,070. "Where neighbors become friends."

Located in the northwest corner of the state, it is just a small town like any other you might find in the United States. Then the dead rise and attack the living.

As the nation and the rest of the world falls to this terrible apocalypse, the people of Liberty come together and decide to stand against the tide of undeath and lawlessness that spreads so fast. They quickly discover that the zombies are only a very small part of the problem.

Will the men and women of Liberty, South Carolina be able to unify against all the forces which seek to drag them kicking and screaming to the pits of Hell? And what price are they willing to pay in order to ensure their own survival?

Junkyard Druid by M D Massey - 4 Stars ****


A cursed druid, blackmailed by a faery queen to find a missing magic rock. Let's just hope they don't hack the druid off... for everyone's sake.

Name's Colin McCool. Folks call me the Junkyard Druid. I hate that name.

Despite my last name, I'm not "cool" like the other hunters in town. I don't run an occult bookstore, I've never owned a Harley, and I didn't inherit a family fortune passed down through generations of hunters before me.

And I kind of have this curse on me that's messed up my life.

So, things have gone to hell since I was cursed. I live in a junkyard, my mentor Finn is a heroin addict, I've got the Cold Iron Circle breathing down my neck, and the local Fae Queen Maeve is blackmailing me into doing her dirty work.

Now I'm in way over my head trying to retrieve Maeve's stolen magic rock, all while helping my friend Belladonna solve a series of murders that may or may not involve the local werewolves.

And did I mention that my girlfriend is a ghost?

If I can just get the Faery Queen's tathlum back, and help Belladonna solve the murders...

Then I just might live long enough to finish my first year of college.

V Games by Caroline Peckham - 4 Stars ****


LAST ONE TO THE GRAVE, WINS.

Being a killer wasn't what eighteen year old Selena Grey ever expected she'd become. But with her stepfather's blood fresh on her hands, she finds herself walking into an eight by six prison cell where she'll live out the next twenty five years of her life.

Or so she thought...

When a man as beautiful as he is terrifying walks into the prison, Selena is the only one seemingly unaffected by his charms. But Varick's impossibly dark eyes are trained on her and her alone, frightening Selena of what his presence forewarns. It's not long before she finds out as she wakes on a ship in the dead of night, a captive of the forbidding Varick who seems more beast than man.

But when she arrives at a barren and isolated island in the stormy north sea, she soon realises that the obnoxious Varick may be her only hope of survival. Because, in a place where polar night reigns for the next six months, a powerful and cruel family are about to start this year's season of the V Games. And Selena is marked to participate in the blood sport, hunted by ravenous vampires and surviving the harsh terrain of the bleak island. And, not only that, but Selena just became the highest bid on contestant in a century...

Those are my first reads of 2018, I'm pretty pleased.  :)  I hope you are reading something great.

As always, thanks for stopping by.
Michelle 

No comments: